Clay's Cardio Killers - Street Light Intervals
While some people don’t mind using a simple jog or run outside as a form of cardio and exercise, to me, there couldn’t be anything more unexciting than keeping the same pace for a certain distance. When I hit the pavement to work on my endurance when I enter the octagon, I make sure I have a game plan ahead of me. More specifically, one that isn’t going to bore me halfway through the workout.
One of my favorite running workouts that I alternate into my routine from time to time is what I like to call “Street Light Intervals”. In this running workout, you’re going to need an area which contains several street lights to use as your “markers”. Get ready for an intense session, because this routine will leave your heart pounding and keep you guessing the entire time!
STREET LIGHT INTERVALS:
- Choose a running course (easiest in a city or suburb area) that contains anywhere between 8 to 15 street lights.
- For your warmup, complete a 5-10 minute jog to make sure you’re loose and ready to give a MAX EFFORT for this workout.
- After completing the warmup, follow the guidelines below:
- Starting at one streetlight, take off in a 60% sprint to the next light within sight.
- Upon reaching the “marker” slow down to a steady jog until you reach another streetlight.
- From here, you’ll up your intensity to a 70% sprint until the next light.
- Again, slow down into a jog for some active recovery between your sprints.
- Repeat until you reach a 100% sprint, and then work your way back down to your original starting %, totaling anywhere from 10-15 sprints.
- Cool down with another 5-10 minute jog.
This is one of my Cardio Killers I like to throw in when I find myself getting stagnant with my endurance training. Give it a shot and let your lungs thank you later!
If you liked this article, check out: